Friday 24 June 2011

Review: The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I had no expectations of this book, didn't really know what it was about and the only reasons I read were simply that 1) my sister had it and 2) it seemed like a series of books that you had to love if you're a part of the Nerdfighter community. So naturally I felt that I'd give it a go.

From the start I was drawn into the story. Although Collins's first person present style is a little clunky in places, I found it to also be a very dynamic and immersive style of storytelling. From the start I wanted to know about these people, and before long it felt like I did know them. The main characters are established well and I feel myself liking whom I should like, disliking whom I should dislike and feeling indifferent to whom it was deserved. It did what it said it should.
As the Games got underway, I was drawn into them and could not bear to put the book down, not wishing to leave the characters hanging. Unwilling to leave them to the horrors of the Games I had to carry on as long as I could.

Looking back, I was absorbed and in this area the book did very well. I could hardly put it down. In the name of impartiality, I did find her writing style very awkward at times. I was occasionally distracted by the way her sentences seemed to tangle themselves up a bit, however that was partly her composition and partly her choice to use the first person present tense...

I immensely enjoyed and subsequently moved straight on to Catching Fire.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment