Thursday 10 June 2010

Are you sitting comfortably?

Tuesdays are quickly becoming my favourite day. Mum, in her capacity as cleaner, goes round to her friend's place, has a bit of a chat and then helps round the house. For the past few weeks I've been tagging along to help out in the very essential role of occupying Vicky's kids, Rachel, Lauren and Gracie. And I love it. They're adorable. lauren and Rachel are twins so it's fun trying to work out which is which :P But they're great. They've worked out that it winds me up when they call me dad, thus it's their favourite thing to do when I'm there :P And I'm always nabbed as storyteller. Onto the sofa I must sit and books must be read. I almost must act as negotiator as I'm yet to find a book all three of them like.
Two sources of fascination for all three of them are:
  • my glasses
  • my beard
It's like they've never seen facial hair before, I swear. They want me to pick them up and as soon as I do they're, like, fondling my beard like it's a small, furry animal...
And they never tire of wearing my glasses. But a new fascination was found in my phone. It slipped out of my pocket and Rachel ran off with it.

And Wednesday and Thursday mornings are great too. There's the mums and toddlers group at church which I help out at. That's a lot of fun too, although there are a few kids that are afraid of me, despite having never had any contact with me above eye contact... I guess I'm just a scary looking guy. But there is one kid that's a bit of a star. He's a little Indian fella and every week I have to play his favourite game with him. This involves him climbing up the little slide the wrong way, he stands at the top and I whisk him off like he's a rocket, and then he clumbs back up it and slides down. This is repeated until I am totally worn out and need a drink.
But this is one of the things I love about kids; they don't get bored with things so easily. Something simple can occupy them for hours and hours and it makes them so happy, like they just discovered a way to make an everlasting chocolate cake...

I love kids. I can't wait to be a dad. Although the prospect of having a kid, or having more than one kid scares the life outta me. One day though, hopefully...

1 comment:

  1. You so need to work in childcare/education Beanz....

    Reading this has reminded me why I do what I do ...

    ReplyDelete