Thursday 1 July 2010

It's all going on

Day 2 of the Royal Norfolk Show; and it's already driving me a little mad. Well, It's not been too bad really. I visited the stand of the Seal and Bird Rescue Trust, the animal rehabilitation centre I used to go to quite a lot. I stopped going for quite some time mainly because I just didn't have time because of my coursework. But, once I'd dropped the coursework, I didn't go back because someone I regarded as a very good friend, almost a best friend, told me that it had gone majorly down hill. The quality of care afforded the animals was very poor. And so I decided not to go back for some time; I thought I would probably go back at some point to see how it really was for myself. This friend, she shall remain nameless, was prone to over exaggeration and so it was highly likely that it wasn't as bad as she made out. But I hadn't been back yet.
So, it was good to get to see them yesterday. There's been some new additions to the troupe of animals, which I will cover later. But when I got there I got talking to Bev about things and it all turned round to this old friend. Without going into painful details, it turned out that she had been making up stories about the centre to me, and about me to the centre. It turned out the she was lying, manipulative and scheming. I had essentially been stabbed in the back be someone I called a best friend. It made me feel like I wasn't worth any real friends. Yeah, I felt pretty down last night, to say the least.
But it was really good to catch up with everyone. I'd missed them, and that place and all the animals. And there had been additions! The main reptile expert had been dying for some "Ackies" aka Ridge-tailed Monitors for a long long time. Bev had never let him get his way... Until now. And they are absolutely gorgeous. They have a reputation for being a bit scatty and a bit of a pain to calm down. These are immense. They're so perfectly manned, really easy to handle, they sit nice and still, they don't wriggle. I may be in love with them... Also, one of the girls that goes there, Rebecca, brought along some of her collection of spiders and tarantula. She has a few really nice ones, but one in particular I am in love with and are determined to get. It's called a Green Bottle Blue. Imagine it: it has blue legs, a green body and an orangey-brown tail. IT'S AMAZING! <3 love love love.
I'm currently on our own stand: the Good News stand. There have been issues that have been getting me a little hot under the collar. The part I play is minor; we have craft for kids to come in and make. As a souveneir type thing they get a certificate. One part of it, my part, is their photo. If they want, they cane have their photo taken and printed out so that they can stick it on. But the printer is, I have decided, a diva. I have, in fact, nicknamed it madonna. When we get low on certificates I have to print more out and I queue up 10 at a time. However, the printer decides that it doesn't want to do this. It will print out one... maybe two if it's feeling gracious... and then promptly refuse to take any more card through. She throws a hissy fit. Does the printer version of throwing a vase of flowers at me. It's great. And it's so. slow. Like, slower than a dead person moves slow. THAT slow. I've got six kids stood round me waiting for their photos and it's printing, like, one row of 4 photos in half an hour.
Okay. That's a slight exaggeration. >_>
It's not too bad now. I think, now that we have people coming in, Madonna has her audience and is going to behave and perform. *fingers crossed touch wood*
As a side note, yes I am possting this FROM the Norfolk Show ground. I'm pretty amazed that i managed to find a reasonably good wireless connection. Still, it's a tad slow... But hey, it's like time travelling back to the days of dial up...
Or, maybe, no thanks. I'd rather not do that...
Anyway, I think I have kids to photograph.
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment