Sunday 1 May 2011

Mulling It Over

Well, this is the last post of BAEDA and It's been a good exercise for me. I may have stumbled a little towards the end but this is the first time I've attempted something like this. So I think that, for the most part, I've done fairly well. Of course, I'm a little disappointed that I didn't quite make the 30 days but, such is life; the world will not end. But it's been good because, before this, I didn't blog very often and that was because I felt I didn't have anything to blog about. but having had to find something to blog about I now feel like I'll be able to maintain this more regularly, which is always a positive. I need ways to express myself because I don't generally get to. But this is not the main purpose of this entry. Tonight was Doctor Who season 6, episode 2 "The Day of the Moon." I must of course advise you that there will be spoileeeeers!

Once again I was blown away by this episode. It seems to me like they're just taking the dials and saying "OK; this is what we would have done before, where can we go now?" which is amazing to see. The episode was exciting, thrilling, scary, creepy, mind-blowing and, in places, just plain confusing. But, as always, I really immensely enjoyed it. It had me totally confused from the start with the various members being apparently killed off one by one by Canton whom, when we left them at the last episode, was their ally and on their side. After a while it's shown that they're not really dead and Canton is not really fighting against them which is all well and good, but it's never explained why the US military has apparently taken a dislike to them all. This is one of the main problems that I have with the episode; there was a lot thrown in there that was never even partially dealt with. For example, how did Canton and his blokes get that super dense alloy stuff that is impenetrable to make the Doctor's cage? If you forget about the silence as soon as you look away then how did everyone remember them (even if they forgot what they looked like)? At one point, Amy was in the orphanage and having a nosy (as she does) when she came to a door in which a little hatch opened and a woman with an eye patch looked out, said something along the lines of "no definitely dreaming" and then disappeared again. Not just her, but the hatch from the door. It was slightly confusing because there were a lot of questions answered and a lot more raised. But this is the nature of Doctor Who and they're got to spice it up a bit for the U.S audience... anyway, moving on.

River's story is really starting to pick up speed now; we're really beginning to get a more fuller picture of who she is even though I still have nothing on who she is other than that which I see on screen. She and the Doctor are flirting quite outrageously now, what with her "screamer" line last week and the whole "I'd shoot 8 for you" back and forth thing in the proto TARDIS. They're getting comfortable with it, and that was no less evident than the kiss in the cell nearing the end. The doctor was a little awkward, but he was fine with it. This is giving plausibility to the Doctor's wife theory, but I just can't see that it's that simplistic. It's never just that simple. There has to be more and until all is revealed, I will have to remain in the dark.
I'm really beginning to like River's character now, and I think I'm beginning to understand why I didn't like her in the first place. I had no context for her; how could she know so much about the Doctor, and why did she speak so much in riddles. I couldn't help bug get annoyed by her smug little ways of being over-familiar with this fantastic man whom she knew nothing about. But thus is the thing with the story; she wasn't being over familiar with him. She was holding back, and has been for every episode before this. She was being restrained because she knew that anything that was the doctor's first would be her last experience of it. Like the kiss in today's episode; it was the Doctors first with her and thus her last. But this obviously implies that it happens again. But why? What kind of relationship do they share. It just makes my head hurt trying to think about it. But the point is; I like river song. She's the Doctor's equal, and well worthy of standing alongside him.

Now, moving on to my biggest gripe about this episode; the Doctor's dealing with the Silence. Through the use of a cleverly snipped piece of a Silent's monologue, the doctor was able to insert a small frame of video telling the inhabitants of the world to shoot a silent on sight. Yes, those were the Doctor's orders and I dislike that he was so quick to attempt to destroy the Silence so quickly. Is that really the Doctor? The Doctor that, in the Daleks in Manhattan, tried to prevent a human/dalek/time lord hybrid "species" from death. Every time, since the encounter in season one, he has tried to reason with them. To come to a peaceful arrangement, despite the fact that it almost always fails. So how could he, essentially, order the Silence's execution? It seems un-Doctor-like to me. Maybe he's all just getting tired of it all? Tired of wars and fighting and of alien races trying to ruin the human race. Maybe he's becoming more human himself through spending some much time with them...

As for the little girl, well, I have a very serious theory about her. She is in a space suit, she comes out of the space suit. At the end of the episode you see her going up to an old man on the streets and... well, regenerating. Yes, Time Lord regenerating. As only a Time Lord can.
Now, I have a very serious theory as to who it is; The Rani. If you don't know who it is, check out the Doctor Who wiki [linky]. I think that this little girl is a young the Rani who will reappear at a later date... We shall see.

I doubt I've said all I could say but I'm tired and I want sleep. I may come back tomorrow and add more or just start another post. But anyway, until next time, K.B.O.

No comments:

Post a Comment