Thursday 19 May 2011

Nostalgia Doth Conquer

I've been having random bouts of nostalgia lately and they've been occurring in increasing frequency... I mean, it's not a bad thing. It just confuses me as to why it's happening so much lately. Could I be getting older and, dare I say... growing *gag* up?
Pffffffffffffffft, nah, not me. But it's still pretty interesting to see what actually triggers it. The other day I was sat in the garden reading and listening to music, when I saw some Swifts wheeling about over head. Now, this got me all excited because Swifts have, for a long time, been my favourite birds. I'm a huge fan of birds of prey and they're the type of bird that I prefer to deal with, look at and just generally be involved with, however Swifts will always be my favourite. They are, for me, incredibly nostalgic because I have always, for as long as I can remember, associated them with summer, the start of summer. And so at that moment, when I heard them for the first time in 2011, I took out my earphones, closed my eyes as I lay on the grass, and took in their crazy screaming. It's something I look forward to each year; haring that scream and seeing those distinctive anchor shapes blasting about above my head. As I write this I can hear some now... goosebumps, I tell thee. It's really that evocative.
It's little things like that that I love and have particular fondness for. Small things are what I love for, not enormous fanfares. That's just ostentatious to me; cobwebs with dew on them, bumblebees on a plant that smells good, unexpected kisses on the cheek, radiator pants... It's all small and it's all awesome!

I was thinking about this whole attachment thing the other day and I was wondering if everyone else is as reliant upon links and connections as I am. Whilst there are almost definitely people that are more reliant than me, and others that are less reliant, I think that to a certain extent everyone applies nostalgic connections to events and situations in life. I think it's just another one of those little things that makes us human.

Ciao and K.B.O.

No comments:

Post a Comment