Friday 28 May 2010

We're only human

There is an odd state of mind that comes with the level of celebrity. They appear to be these superhuman entities that are just a little bit better then you. Just cos. And as such they are under intense scrutiny. Now, we all really know that they're just people, same us us, but we still hold them in a more accountable state, for some odd reason. Because they're in the public eye everything they do is pretty much known by everyone. Especially their mistakes. I'm guilty of this myself, although I didn't think I was. Certain events that have unfolded in the past few hours have caused me to realise this.
The event in question is this: Hayley Williams twitter account/ computer got hacked. And the hacker posted a pic that Hayley took in which she had got her boobs out.
And this, for some reason, made me lose a little bit of respect for Hayley. I have a lot of love for her, not because she's gorgeous and extremely cute or whatever (although, that is part of it). Now, I don't know her personally, but whenever I see her being interviewed or whatever the thing that strikes me about her is how normal she is. She's the front woman for a platinum selling band yet she's still so humble. She lives in a little house in her home town and drives a beat up old car that her mum used to drive. The shows Paramore play are just the guys doing their thing and playing their music. There's no elaborate sets, no ostentatious multiple costume changes. She's there rocking out and getting sweaty with the other guys in the band.
But the fact that this real, damn awesome person that I see has taken these pics, even if she didn't mean to post them, made my respect and my view of her fall a little.
But then I started thinking about it. Why? Why should it? It changes nothing. She is human, same as me, and no human is perfect. I should know this better than anyone. Human society is built on mistakes and slip ups. It's who we are. Find me a human that has never made a mistake and I will find you a flying elephant.
In the words of Lilo from Lilo & Stitch: "Even Elvis slipped up sometimes." In fact he slipped up a lot.
Mistakes are what make us, constant reminders of those mistakes is what breaks us.

No comments:

Post a Comment