Thursday 18 March 2010

My "Death Star"

I feel stuck. I feel frustrated.
I've had enough of these same four walls every day of every week. I've had enough of the stress this course is putting onto me. And this course is getting me down. I can't see where I'm going. I can't see what I'll do once I've finished and got my degree. I don't even want to do anything to do with science, I know that much. I want to be creative. I want to be able to use my mind and my imagination to create things that are amazing and beautiful. But I don't know where I'll go once I've finished. I've had enough of having no direction and it scares the heck outta me...
But most of all I've had enough of never doing anything. Nothing ever new or exciting ever comes my way and it's really getting to me. I don't need constant excitement and adventure. My imagination provides enough of that. But it just seems like I see everybody else doing things and having their own adventures and I'm stuck here. In dulls-ville...
I want to do something for once. I want to live for once. Okay, I may be alive, but being alive isn't the same as living. I need to find my death star.
This is a concept that I've really taken on. It's something that I've realised I need to have in my life. It comes from a stupid little movie called "Fanboys." The basic plot is, these four Star Wars geeks want to break into Skywalker Ranch to steal the unfinished version of Star Wars: Episode 1. This is the last big thing that one of the characters, Linus, will do because he has been diagnosed with cancer. Another of the characters, Eric, has been told by his father that he will get the family business, but he has to come home from this adventure at once. At one point in the movie, Eric is sitting by the side of the road deciding what to do. The other three guys, Linus, Windows and Hutch come and sit with him and Hutch, the stupid, cocky one, comes out with this gem which struck me as something I need in my life.

Hutch: You gotta find your Death Star...
Eric: Okay, I'll bite...
Hutch: The greatest deed Luke Skywalker ever did was take down the Death Star, right? As far as I'm concerned that's what everybody needs. You need that one badass thing that you live on forever...

I need to find my Death Star. I need to do something awesome. Just for once. So that once I've finished my degree and once I've got a job and once I've found someone and got married and had kids and I have a family I can look back on it and say, "You know what? That was indeed amazing."

No comments:

Post a Comment