Thursday 18 March 2010

Norwich and The Swinging Chandeliers

This morning was not a good morning. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

This afternoon was a heck of a lot better. Despite having no real reason to, I took a trip into Norwich. Turned out to be one of the best days I've spent there. I've lived in Norwich all my life, but I'd never just wandered and looked at it. And so, today, on this lovely warm day, that is exactly what I did. And I noticed many new, little things about it.
I never knew there was a clock at one end of the Royal Arcade. There are a lot of buildings in Norwich that are pretty old and really nicely designed. There's some lovely architecture around. Walking aimlessly around Norwich in the sun was not at all bad.

And during my
wanderings I happened to go down Gentleman's Walk. Playing in the best place possible (if you know Norwich, just outside Lush, near the Carphone Warehouse) were an outstanding classic jazz and swing three-piece called the Swinging Chandeliers. I can't tell you how excellent they were, their sound was so sweet and organic. Not forced in any way, and they added a little humour to their performace with some witty banter and interaction with people.
The bass player was a dude. I kept go
ing back to watch them cause they and their music cheered me up no end and he recognised me. Gave me a bit of a nod every time. :P I bought their cd. £10 which was, in my mind, an absolute bargain.

After a terrible morning, this was exactly what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment